Winter can bring chilly temperatures to California. To avoid enduring a cold house all season, make sure you get your furnace repaired at the first signs of trouble. Call Aloha Heating & Cooling for furnace repairs, maintenance, and tune-ups in the Auburn, CA area. Established in 1997, we provide our customers with flat-rate pricing!
How healthy is the air your family is breathing in your home? Call us to learn about our indoor air quality services.
How to Properly Maintain Your Furnace
It’s important that your furnace can function properly when you need it most. To keep your home comfortable this winter, perform these maintenance tasks on your unit:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a professional in the late spring or early fall.
- Change the filter at least every three months.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor. This should be inspected by a professional during your annual tune-up.
- Have a heating contractor inspect your furnace ducts to ensure they are sealed properly.
- Check the blower for any obstructions. If needed, apply lubrication.
- Inspect the inside of the furnace chamber for defects that could include rust, holes, and separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and dirt.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter to monitor the rate of fuel usage.
- Clean the area around the furnace to keep it free from debris.
Signs You Need Furnace Repair
To avoid having your furnace completely malfunction, it’s important to watch for signs that can indicate your unit needs repairs to have it serviced by a professional as soon as possible. Some symptoms to watch for can include:
- Short cycling: If your system runs for less than three minutes before turning off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or a broken thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If the flames are uneven or lean toward the back of the furnace it can indicate a cracked heat exchanger, which can lead to serious problems. If you notice this, you should call a professional immediately.
- Unusual sounds: If you hear rumbling, popping, or whistling coming from the unit it can indicate a number of issues that should be inspected by a professional.
- Cracked heat exchanger: This can lead to a serious issue like a carbon monoxide leak. This should be inspected by a professional as soon as possible as it can cause serious health issues for your household. If you suspect you have a leak you should evacuate your property and then seek professional help.
Don’t let all of the warm air leak out through your ducts. Contact us for air duct repairs.
Easy Ways to Make Your Furnace More Energy Efficient
Keeping your home warm and comfortable during the winter can cause your utility bills to increase. To help lower these costs, use these tips to make your unit more energy-efficient.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This will provide better climate control.
- Check your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks.
- Properly insulate your home to keep the warm air in and the cold air out.
- Perform regular maintenance on the system at least once a year.
- Change the air filters regularly.
- Open the curtains or shades to let sunlight in to add heat to your home.